Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Dropkick Murphy's

So, I have some catching up to do. And I need to do it fast because I'm going to have a nephew (or niece) arrive any minute now. If I don't blog St. Patty's week now, I'll never do it. (As a side note, I've been extremely busy. And by extremely, I mean my refrigerator consists of bottle water, beer and condiments.)
So, Dropkick Murphy's LIVE in concert at the brand spankin' new House of Blues by Fenway. The Dropkicks are a native Boston band. They had their first big break when the Southie based movie, The Departed, used one of their songs in the movie. They became a household name with the 2007 World Champion Red Sox pitcher Jonathan Pabelbon danced an Irish jig to one of their songs on national tv.

The Dropkicks played seven SOLD OUT shows in six days at the House of Blues in Boston. It was madness.

I've never witnessed a "mosh pit" in all my years, but I have an injury from one now. Imagine how crowded the floor is of a sold out concert. Now imagine a huge void in the middle of that floor. Throw in the mix some meatheads running around like chickens with their heads cut off. There is no rhyme or reason as to where they run, but they purposely hit each other. It's dumb. I don't understand it. But it happened right where we were standing on the floor. Luckily, the guys I went with were seasoned in "punk show" go-ers and formed a barricade around us girls. Unfortunately, I still got kicked hard in the shin from a mosher. I got kicked so hard, it even took a few days for the bruise to form. I'm sure Liz will be thankful for the bruise in her wedding pictures in two weeks. The craziest thing of it all, was that no fights broke out from the madness that is a mosh pit. If nothing else, it was controlled madness.

I also witnessed "body surfing" at the Dropkicks. This is when you lay flat and have many, many people (ie: random people you don't know) holding you up above their heads and passing you around the crowd. Why anyone would want to do this, I don't know. You are trusting complete strangers, and mostly drunk strangers, to hold you up. At any point a stranger decides they don't want to hold you up anymore, BOOM! dropped on your head you go. Again - dumb.

All that being said, the Dropkicks were awesome! They played song after song and were so involved with the crowd. It was by far, the most energetic concert I've ever been to. During one song, they asked the girls to come up on stage. After I while, I obliged. Two girls were on a mission to get up there, so I squeezed in between the two of them and we made our way to the crowed at the front of the stage. A guy turned around and asked "you goin' on stage." I said "yes." He picked me up and I kid you not - I.body.surfed.my.way.on.to.the.stage. And then got dumped on my head. But it was fun.

A picture from my cell phone, as Oakie can't find the cord to upload pictures from his camera. But, like I said earlier, I'm on a baby deadline here, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment